As part of my campaign towards ending the fur trade in South Africa I have started an online pledge for those who will never buy any item containing real fur. This in turn will be used to request that retailers officially pledge to never sell items containing real fur in SA. This has been done in other places.
- West Hollywood has banned the sale of real fur
- There is a ban on fur in the Irish counties of Dublin and Fingal
- Department stores in Australia have banned the sale of fur on their properties
- Israel is in the process of implementing a TOTAL ban on the fur trade
“Whether it came from an animal on a fur farm or one who was trapped in the wild, every fur coat, fur trinket, and bit of fur trim caused an animal tremendous suffering and a violent death. PETA’s more than 3 million members and supporters shun fur, as do most stylish celebrities, including Charlize Theron, Penélope Cruz, Eva Mendes, and Kate Winslet. PETA supports the campaign to end the fur trade in South Africa. Please pledge your support today”.
Thank you PeTA, for your support.
- Alongside Kopenhagen Furs, Saga Furs is one of the biggest auction houses in the fur industry.
- Saga Furs, American Legend and Fur Harvesters Auction have joined forces for 2014 selling season, where inspections started on March 4 2014. This is NOW! Pelts are brought to Finland to be auctioned. According to Saga this auction “will offer the most diverse selection of quality furs the world has ever seen”. A TOTAL OF 11 MILLION MINK (the innocent creature in photo), 2 MILLION fox and a huge variety of other fur types will be offered during each season (March and June).
- In a joint initiative involving The International Fur Trade Federation (IFTF), Kopenhagen Fur, American Legend Cooperative, Finnish Fur Sales/SAGA Furs and North American Fur Auctions, the ORIGIN ASSURED (OA™) label was launched. These are all PRO-FUR organisations. This OA™ label supposedly guarantees consumers to know the country of origin of the fur they buy. It is meant to be a country where there are adequate welfare regulations or standards. Of note, the fact that factory farming of animals for fur (which is inherently cruel) is condoned in those countries is not taken into account. As Mr Pietsch points out “A fox in nature will run as much as 12km a day, which gives an idea of how much these animals suffer”. Mink in the wild live on woodland banks and are semi-aquatic. WILD ANIMALS GO INSANE WHEN CRAMPED INTO TINY METAL CAGES.
The myth of “ethical” fur has now been debunked in all Scandinavian countries. THERE IS NOTHING ethical. about any fur farm.
The footage released may be accessed via the links below:
Information released by Saga FURs and Kopenhagen Furs: http://www.sagafurs.com/en/auctions_home/auctions_info/season_2013_2014